Spring is the best time of year to put your home on the market. So, if it's time to upgrade or get out of town, get busy and get that house on the market. Be sure, however, that it looks great and is priced right.
It's important to remember that there's a lot of competition in the market right now, so it's critical that your home stand out among the pack, especially if you want to land the best price in a market where you'll be competing with foreclosures and short sales that are at rock bottom prices.
Your first chance to make a good impression with potential buyers is before they even get out of the car. Take care with how your home looks from the street and from every angle of the driveway and yard. Here are some tips for making sure that your front yard charms those potential buyers.
- Tidy up the yard. Mow the lawn diagonally; it makes your yard look larger. Trim back shrubs and overgrown trees. Get rid of anything that's dead. And be sure to user the edger. Those cleanly defined beds and edges show that you pay attention to your home's details.
- Add some color. With our mild climate in central Florida, you can usually always have something blooming. Everyone is looking for that first sign of spring, so have some containers with tulips, daffodils or other flowers added if there's nothing currently blooming in your yard. Keep in mind that the color yellow has been shown to stimulate buying, so some bright yellow daffodils are a good choice.
- Rinse away that pollen. During the worst of the pollen season, it may be necessary to rinse porches, steps and decks daily.
- Power wash – Buy, rent or borrow a power washer and give your house, windows, sidewalks and outdoor living areas a bath. You'll be amazed how everything sparkles.
- Check out your front door. Your front door should be appealing. Consider buying a new one, or at least painting the old one and adding updated hardware. And of course, ensure that it hangs level and has no squeaks or sticks.
- Clean your gutters. Gutters should not be stuffed full of plants as though they were window boxes. When potential buyers see that you don't keep your gutters clean, they'll wonder what else you've failed to maintain.
- Take a walk. Park in your driveway and walk to your front door. What will the buyer see on this walk? Is it appealing? Is there a defined path to the front door? If so, is the path level and tidy?
Today's market is a tough one. If you want to sell your home without having to drastically reduce the price, you have to show the buyer why it's worth it to pay more for your home. The impression your yard gives the buyer may determine whether or not they even bother to get out of the car and go inside. So, make sure you wow them from the very first second.
Are you thinking about selling your Florida home? RealtyExecutivesFL.com is a collection of Florida realtors specializing in Orlando area real estate. With over 100 agents with all kinds of specialties, let our experience become your advantage!